Jessie is a medical professional and academician who is passionate about improving the holistic care of children with cancer and their families in Kenya. Through her work at the Kenyatta National Hospital, the largest teaching and referral hospital in Kenya, where she is part of a team caring for children with cancer, she is conversant with the numerous hurdles that children with cancer and their families face during the cancer journey.
This is what motivated her, together with other likeminded individuals to establish the Kenya Childhood Cancer Trust (KeCCT). Jessie has cordial working relationships with several stakeholders involved in cancer work including other professionals, Professional Societies, the National Cancer Institute (Kenya), National Cancer Control Program, Civil Society Groups involved in cancer care amongst others.
Educational and Professional Background.
Jessie is an Associate Professor in the Department of Human Pathology, University of Nairobi, Kenya and has an adjunct position as Assistant Professor, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), USA. Her training background is in general pathology, haematology and blood transfusion.
She has published widely in journals, presented at conferences and is currently involved in several multinational clinical researches. A member of several Technical Working Groups of the Ministry of Health dealing with cancer, Jessie is an indefatigable advocate for childhood cancer. She has been involved in various fundraising initiatives for childhood cancer in Kenya.
Membership of Organizations
- Founder trustee of Kenya Childhood Cancer Trust (KeCCT).
- Board Member Kenya Network of Cancer Organisations.
- Board Member Health Education for Africa Resource Team Trust (HEART).
- Founder Member and Committee member of College of Pathologists for East Central and Southern Africa (COPECSA).
- Member of International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care and the Kenya Hospices and Palliative Care Association (KEHPCA).
- Member of the Kenya Association of Clinical Pathologists (KACP).
In August 2015 CEO Global awarded her the Lifetime Achievement Regional Award for Education and Training.